C.A.R.A.T. ™ (Clothier Animal Response Assessment Tool)
The Clothier Animal Response Assessment Tool (CARAT) was developed in 2007 by Suzanne Clothier as an assessment system that categorizes behavior in multiple components that are intuitive and practical. CARAT takes a detailed view of the individual dog as a unique combination of many factors working together to influence, exacerbate, mitigate and enhance each other. Taken as a whole, the CARAT profile offers a richly detailed view of an individual dog in terms of functional behavior and adaptability.
CARAT's unique bi-directional, multi-dimensional scale has been appropriated by and incorporated into other assessments developed by others since 2007. The terminology and the format of the scale are easily recognized. CARAT provides a common language to describe and understand temperament.
CARAT will continue to prove its value for temperament and behavior assessment for trainers, veterinarians, behaviorists, animal shelter and rescue personnel, caretakers and breeders.
Besides love and sympathy, animals exhibit other qualities connected with the social instincts which in us would be called moral.
― Charles Darwin
- Development of exceptional observation skills
- Cutting edge approach to behavior assessment
- An understanding of “the ethology of the individual” More humane and effective training
- Skill in developing behavior modification & training plans tailored to the individual
- Improvement in matching individual dogs to the best possible home
- Ability to define and focus on appropriate selection of desired traits for specific jobs and/or within a breeding program
The mission of the CARAT Certification Program is three fold:
- Promote deeper understanding of animal behavior as a whole
- Promote deeper understanding of & respect for individual animals as complex and dynamic beings
- Promote humane, effective training and quality of life appropriate to the individual animal’s abilities and needs