NY – Advanced Trainers’ Workshop
As always, August is both looser and more intense than the June workshop. Because all have a good grasp of RCT basics, we can branch out and do more hands-on or experimental work. Because we kind of all know each other a bit, we can also relax a bit more, share more freely, and try out loud, so to speak.
Ideas in the works:
- Trail manners – how to set up handler & dog for success with carefully orchestrated practice on real trails! We may call for clients with this need and/or work with dogs present.
- Train a critter – your choice of our farm animals. Probably will stick to the donkeys, horses & maybe the chickens, torts & parrots. The pigs are getting a bit elderly and in the heat are often reluctant playmates. We’d like to set up some training goals for the 5 days for each animal. Silly tricks or serious skills – who knows! Also contemplating using food puzzle rewards.
- Scent work & tracking with John, maybe some scent discrimination games and Search & Rescue games (like Dress A Dummy)
- CCC – if you don’t know about Connection, Cooperation & Control, it’s a great addition to any trainer’s toolbox
- Treiball – let’s see if we can get some dogs started on this fun activity (anyone skilled at this already?)
- Quiet walks with dogs & friends
- Something crafty to let us play in non-doggy ways for a while (but for those who remember Zentangle lady, she will NOT be back!)